- A web strategy and dot-com pioneer, working with Internet applications since 1994. Expertise and track record in developing successful eBusiness strategies, implementing Internet best practices, creating results oriented and user-centric Websites, and maturing online marketing techniques and solutions.
- Extensive senior management experience in leading organizations from a technology, product management and business development perspective.
- Over 20 years of executive management experience with a multidisciplinary knowledge of health care, research, education, business development, finance, and technology.
- Currently head of Integrated Media and Technology for the American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO), the premiere international forum for the presentation of scientific research and state-of-the-art education in clinical oncology and the world’s leading healthcare professional organization representing cancer physicians worldwide.
- Prior positions held include Chief Information Officer at the American Association of Homes and Services for the Aging and Chief Research Officer & Senior Vice-President for Product Research/ Marketing/Business Development at Ntercept Communications.
- Spoken at conferences worldwide including national conferences, technology conferences, and management conferences at the Disney Institute and for DigitalNow.
AREAS OF EXPERTISE
- Technology 101 Primer for Executives
- Leveraging Technology for Innovation
- Leadership Best Practice for Digital Success
- Social Media and Internet Marketing Strategies
- Implementing a Sustainable Mobile and Tablet Technology
- Developing Technology Strategies for the Future Generation
Hailed as a technology visionary, Bernie Khoo has promoted innovative strategies to achieve results in the areas of online data analysis and metrics, Internet marketing and social networking, portal and content management system development, and enterprise IT strategic planning. Currently Bernie manages the IT operations, meeting publishing, eLearning, websites, creative and production divisions at the American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO). Under his leadership, the Integrated Media and Technology Department is the catalyst for innovation at ASCO, generating revenue for the society while producing a prodigious amount of products and services across multiple media. At the core, Bernie strives to diversify ASCO’s revenue stream by emphasizing innovation, continuously expanding on business responsibilities, signaling business opportunities, and by identifying and re-purposing ASCO’s intellectual property while simultaneously integrating these tools into larger system to create a frictionless information experience for users. Under his leadership and vision, the technology Department is often cited as “best in class” in delivering content across media to allow the best use of print, digital, and mobile access channels.
Prior to joining ASCO, Bernie served as the principal technical advisor for the Environmental Protection Agency on issues surrounding web-based systems for integrating non-parametric quantitative data with real-time qualitative data from Fortune 500 companies under the Energy Star’s web portal. He developed systems architecture design and web-based energy performance measurement tools for EPA’s Energy Star portal (http://www.energystar.gov). In 2000, Bernie was part of the senior management team responsible for transforming Ntercept Solution into the leading Internet tool for sophisticated online data collection and reporting. As Senior Vice President for Product Management & Marketing and Chief Research Officer, Bernie directed the business development operations, marketing, communications and product research for a high profile dot-com startup venture. Responsibilities included evaluation of potential technology vendors and partners, building strategic alliances and cultivating client relationships. He also developed organizational-wide benchmarks to monitor continuous improvement, alignment and growth.
In 1996, as the Chief Information Officer at the American Association of Homes and Services for the Aging, Bernie led the strategic alignment, formulation and implementation of IT, Internet services and data warehousing for a national health organization. He worked collaboratively and provided leadership to the board and volunteer committees in developing and implementing information systems and Internet strategies. He was also the spokesperson for business strategies associated with B2B and B2C e-commerce initiatives. He orchestrated the development of an e-commerce web site, identified vertical markets, and developed strategic business partnerships and alliances to maximize resource limitations.
Bernie’s formal education includes a B.A. degree from Colby College in Economics and Music, an M.A. and Ph.D.-ABD from the American University in Economics with concentration in Econometrics.